Electrophysiology or EP examines the electrical system of the heart. Electrophysiology
studies are used to diagnose exactly where the irregular heart beat (arrhythmia)
is coming from. Arrhythmia can be fixed using catheter based ablation
procedure or by implanting a device, such as a pacemaker/ defibrillator.
These studies help your physician:
- Assess the need for a pacemaker or implantable cardiac defibrillator (ICD)
- Determine your risk for future heart problems, including sudden cardiac death
- Evaluate whether medicine is effectively controlling abnormal heart rhythms
- Pinpoint arrhythmias that start in the heart and help identify the best
Once your physicians know the type of irregular heartbeat you have, they
can determine the best treatment plan for you.
Reasons for Electrophysiology:
If you have irregular heart rhythms, you may experience dizziness, shortness
of breath or fainting. An irregular heartbeat may also be fatal so it
is important to see medical attention.
- Slow heart rhythms (bradycardia) may require a pacemaker to help your heart
- Rapid heart rates (tachycardia) may respond to a catheter based radiofrequency
ablation (RFA), which is designed to destroy the abnormal electrical pathway,
allowing the heart to beat normally.
- Other abnormal rhythms may need a device called an implantable cardiac
defibrillator to stabilize your heart rate and extend your life.
Why choose The Heart Center at AHMC Anaheim Regional Medical Center?
For over 60 years, the highly experienced Cardiovascular Team at The Heart
Center has been providing our cardiac patients with technically advanced
diagnosis, treatment, and rehabilitation. We take great pride in the cardiovascular
care and services we offer to our patients. Our STEMI-designated receiving
center and comprehensive cardiology services provide patients with a variety
of amenities and treatment options.
For a physician referral please call
We Care About Your Health and Future
At AHMC Anaheim Regional Medical Center, our goal is to provide compassionate,
high-quality healthcare services and medical care to our patients and
our community. Many heart health issues, like arrhythmias, can be treated
without surgery, using effective drug therapies and procedures that take
place inside the heart. At AHMC Anaheim Regional Medical Center, we offer
complete electrophysiology (EP) services including consultative, diagnostic,
and disease management for patients with heart rhythm disturbances.